Friday, October 26, 2007

Political vs. Party Political

Following a couple of comments on my previous blog entry, I think I need to clarify a few things. The reason I deleted the link to David Gold's blog is that rather that being the thoughts and idea's of someone who happens to be the prospective Conservative candidate for Eltham, which was a mixture of his personal views, local items and political comment, instead it had become a purely party political website 'David Gold for Eltham' spouting party political propaganda.

For the record, this is one of the rare occasions I disagree with Hugh as I think if we comment on chavs on busses, young people shooting each other (my next blog entry), the state of the environment etc. then we are being political. I also don't have quite such a cynical view of Politicians as Hugh, sure a lot of them may be a loathsome bunch of self-serving hypocrites out to stick their noses in other peoples business, but from my personal experience there are also quite a few who actually believe in the notion of public service and have a genuine desire to make things better.

In relation to Ian's (always interesting) comments, I am not trying to steer away from Politics (though I failed to make this clear in what I wrote!), I just didn't want the blog to be Party political. In fact I seem to be one of the few people these days who is actually interested in the subject, I even took my degree in it! I just can't stand the tribal everything about my party is great and all the others are totally wrong side of things, when in fact no one party has a monopoly on good ideas. Ian, perhaps we should form the 'Not A Party Party' or NAPP and see if we can get elected, I think I will sleep on that one.........

3 Comments:

At 2:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog!
I must admit too being naturally distrustful of politicians but as this is "the system" we've got then it's best to keep yourself informed. Sounds worse than it is but I'm more interested in Politics than I am in football...
:-s
I agree Simon one thing that puts me off completely is the whole "We're better than thou" attitude. I can see why it happens but wish we as a society could make the jump and get on with making the world a better place.
MY GOD THAT READS LIKE HIPPIE LIKE DRIVEL...but that's my sentiments!

I'm up for the 'Not A Party Party'!
can i step up as the militant wing?
LOL!

 
At 2:13 pm, Blogger sibonetic said...

OK you can be the militant wing and I will be the, Not a Party Party, but I do like a Party section

 
At 4:39 pm, Blogger Erik Fuller said...

Politicians are a bit like lawyers (in fact most of them are lawyers). Its their job to put the best possible case for the party line. Different politicians adopt a more open-minded approach, or more long-winded approach depending on your point of view, to put forward a case but it still arrives at the same policy conclusion and it is adopted for the same motive as the "better than you" attitude.

Our system is a way of reducing 60 million "better than you" arguments to a more manageable two or three which the electorate can then judge between.

Guess I'll have to start the Not Not a Party Party

 

Post a Comment

<< Home